Eco-Nature Travel is all about exploring the world’s natural beauty while making sure to protect it for future generations. Our focus is to inspire and connect you to eco-friendly travel tips, ethical wildlife experiences, and incredible eco-adventures. Together, we can not just explore nature, we can work to preserve it for the future.
We’ve been fortunate to have experienced the thrill of being among wild animals, both close to home and occasionally around the world. These experiences have taught us the importance of collective efforts to preserve our extraordinary world. I hope you’ll also enjoy eco-nature adventures!
Sustainable Travel… Is it possible to be both an environmentally responsible world traveler? Can we explore the world without causing harm to the planet and its cultures? The answer lies in the concept of responsible tourism, which seeks to strike a balance between fulfilling our travel desires and safeguarding the environment and culture for future generations. In this article, we’ll delve into the essence of responsible tourism, its significance, and…Keep reading
Nature travelers know the joy of exploring new environments on their travels. Wildlife and birdwatching are hobbies that allow you to connect with nature, immerse yourself in the landscape, and fully appreciate the beauty of the natural world. Combining the love for travel with the joy of observing birds and other wildlife can result in unforgettable experiences. Best of all, these activities are accessible to everyone, regardless of expertise. All…Keep reading
Steps for Sustainability in Eco-Nature Travel
Here are the basic principles for eco-friendly nature travel. (We explore these principles and more, in 35 Tips for Responsible Tourism) :
- Choose Green Activities and Eco-friendly Tours: Engage in eco-friendly activities like hiking, biking, or nature tours. Opt for ecotourism operators that prioritize sustainable and environmentally responsible practices. Look for certifications such as Rainforest Alliance or EarthCheck.
- Respect Wildlife: When engaging with wildlife, do so responsibly and with the guidance of experts. Keep a safe distance, avoid feeding, and minimize any disturbance to their natural behavior. Avoid all tours that promote animal exploitation.
- Stay in Eco-friendly Accommodations: Look for hotels, hostels, or vacation rentals that have sustainable practices, such as using renewable energy, reducing water waste, and recycling.
- Choose Green Transportation: Opt for eco-friendly modes of transportation, such as bikes, trains, or buses, instead of flying, which has a larger carbon footprint. If flying is necessary, consider non-stop flights and carbon offset programs.
- Support Responsible Tourism: Learn about the local culture and respect local customs. Support businesses and tours that give back to the community and protect the environment.
- Eat Locally and Sustainably: Support local restaurants and markets that serve locally sourced and sustainably produced food.
- Pack Light: Traveling with fewer items means less weight and less fuel consumption.
- Reduce Energy and Water Usage: Turn off lights, air conditioning, and heating when you leave your room. Reuse towels and sheets rather than requesting daily changes.
- Reduce Single-Use Plastics: Carry a reusable water bottle, shopping bag, and utensils to reduce the use of single-use plastics.
- Leave No Trace: Follow the “Leave No Trace” principles by not littering, staying on designated trails, and disposing of waste properly. Leave the environment as you found it.
- Spread Awareness: Share your ecotourism experience and knowledge gained with others, encouraging them to consider responsible travel and ecotourism as well.
Remember that small actions can collectively make a big difference in preserving our planet while still enjoying your travels. Additionally, staying informed and spreading awareness about eco-friendly travel practices can inspire others to do the same.
Read more about our favorite nature destinations:
- Costa Rica – Best Reasons to Visit Costa Rica
- USA – U.S. National Parks
- USA, Massachusetts – Heritage Museums & Gardens
- USA, Massachusetts – Best Whale Watching in Massachusetts
- General – Birds of the African Savanna: how to birdwatch on safari
- General – 10 Steps to the Perfect African Safari
- East Africa- Kenya & Tanzania – Safari in East Africa
- East Africa- Zanzibar – Best Things to Do in Zanzibar
- Southern Africa- Botswana – An Okavango Delta Safari
- Southern Africa- Safari in South Africa
- Southern Africa- South Africa – One Day on Safari